Following the station orientations, each municipality will proceed separately in selecting candidates from this pool to advance in their individual process. It is possible that some candidates may advance in the process for more than one of the three municipalities.
While each municipality will announce details at a later date, it is anticipated that:
- Some candidates from the pre-qualified pool may be shortlisted for an interview with the Fire Chief and other representatives for one or more of the three municipalities.
- Candidates may be required to complete psychometric testing, as determined by the individual municipality.
- Following the Fire Chief’s interview and any further testing, some candidates may be given a conditional offer of employment or be placed on one or more eligibility lists. The conditional offer is conditional on at least (but not limited to) the four elements below:
- Passing an assessment with a certified medical physician demonstrating medical fitness to perform the job of Firefighter. The assessment uses the National Fire Protection Association – Standard on Comprehensive Occupational Medical Program for Fire Departments – (2013) Edition (referred to as “NFPA 1582”). It is the candidate’s responsibility to review and understand these standards. An on-line version of the standard can be viewed at www.nfpa.org or a complete copy purchased from the National Fire Protection Association at www.nfpa.org or (617) 770-3000. Please consult your physician if you have any concerns about your ability to meet this standard. The cost of the medical is assumed by the municipality.
- Passing a criminal record check.
- Submitting a new driver’s abstract demonstrating safe and responsible driving behaviour as at the time of application.
- Successful completion of work related reference checks.
- Candidates who are not selected for immediate employment may be placed on an eligibility list with one or more of the municipalities for consideration for future employment opportunities. Each municipality will confirm separately the conditions for remaining on their eligibility list.